NCW in conference assembled, concerned by the increasing reliance on League Tables – results the only mantra – urges HMG to review and encourage the teaching of creative subjects, especially music in primary and junior schools.
- Subjects such as music and art are being squeezed out by pressure to reach SATS targets and climb League Tables.
- Impressive results have been shown in a primary school in Bradford which uses the Kodaly method of teaching.
- Music is about working together- listening to others, taking turns, giving way… whereas games encourage competition, aggression and goals.
- Music can release children from the grind of tables, spellings, dates etc and encourage self-expression.
- Music can help the non -academic to shine, boosting self- esteem, which can carry over to other subjects
Submitted by: Gwyneth Miller, NCW Individual Member